Chef John's Chicken Parmesan.
You can have Chef John's Chicken Parmesan using 13 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chef John's Chicken Parmesan
- Prepare 4 halves of skinless, boneless chicken breast.
- It's to taste of salt & ground black pepper.
- You need 2 of eggs.
- It's 4 cups of panko bread crumbs.
- It's 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese.
- You need 2 tbsp. of all-purpose flour or more if needed.
- It's 1 cup of olive oil for frying.
- You need 1/2 cup of prepared tomato sauce.
- It's 1/4 cup of fresh mozzarella, cut into small cubes.
- It's 1/4 cup of chopped basil.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of grated provolone cheese.
- You need 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese.
- It's 1 tbsp. of olive oil.
Chef John's Chicken Parmesan step by step
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Place chicken breast between 2 sheets of heavy plastic on a solid, level surface.
- Firmly pound chicken with the smooth side of a meat mallet to a thickness of 1/2 inches.
- Season chicken thoroughly with salt and pepper.
- Beat eggs in a shallow bowl and set aside.
- Mix bread crumbs and 1/2 cup parmesan in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Place flour in a sifter or strainer, and sprinkle over chicken breasts evenly coating both sides.
- Dip flour coated chicken breast in the beaten eggs.
- Transfer breasts to bread crumbs, pressing the crumbs into both sides Repeat for each breast.
- Set aside chicken breasts for 15 minutes.
- Heat 1 cup olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat until it begins to shimmer.
- Cook chicken until golden, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Place chicken in a baking dish and top each breast with about 1/2 cup of tomato sauce.
- Layer each chicken breast with equal amounts of mozzarella cheese, basil and provolone cheese.
- Sprinkle 1 to 2 tbsp. of parmesan cheese on to chicken and drizzle with 1 tbsp. olive oil.
- Bake in preheated oven until cheese is browned and bubble, and the chicken is no longer pink in the center about 15 to 20 minutes.