Scalloped potatoes. My favorite cheesy, creamy, garlicky, always-delicious scalloped potatoes recipe. Scalloped Potatoes. featured in Steak Dinner For Two. This classic recipe for scalloped potatoes showcases the flavors of potatoes and onion baked in a creamy sauce.
Once layered, bake this easy potato casserole until tender, golden, and bubbly. These easy Scalloped Potatoes are a classic dish with layers of potatoes and rich creamy cheese sauce on repeat! The ingredients are simple but makes the best recipe! You can cook Scalloped potatoes using 10 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Scalloped potatoes
- Prepare 8 slice of medium potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 " thick.
- You need 1 medium of white onion peeled and sliced (1/4") then quarter the slices.
- It's 6 tbsp of salted butter, cut into tbls slices, then quartered.
- It's 3/4 cup of self rising flour divided.
- You need 3/4 tbsp of salt (this is really to your taste).
- It's 1/2 tbsp of ground black pepper (or to taste).
- It's 1 cup of shredded cheddar (or your fav cheese)OPTIONAL.
- It's 4 cup of whole milk.
- Prepare 1 of non-stick spray.
- You need quart of water.
Scalloped potatoes are a classic, indulgent side dish. Thinly sliced potatoes are layered with a creamy sauce, then baked til golden brown. It's rich, cheesy, and super flavorful. How to make a tasty cheesy version of traditional scalloped potato recipes.
Scalloped potatoes instructions
- Wash, peel, sliced potatoes. Place in water, until ready to use. Preheat oven to 400°F..
- Prepare onions, measure flour, salt, pepper, butter, milk, and cheese, if using..
- Spray a 9"x9"x2" oven safe dish with non stick spray. Place single layer of potatoes then 1/3 of the onion, 1/3 flour,1/3 butter. Sprinkle with 1/3 salt and pepper. Repeat layers twice..
- Add 4 cups milk..
- Bake, covered (lid or foil) in preheated oven at 400F, 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375, cook another 30-45 minutes until potatoes are tender and sauce thickens. Remove lid or foil when about 15 minutes left to cook, to allow top brown a bit..
- Cool a bit. Serve..
- This makes 6-8 servings. Great for lunch the next day..
This is absolutely delicious with the cheese, but of course, if you want to make. How do you thicken scalloped potatoes? To thicken scalloped potatoes, keep cooking the sauce a minute or so longer than directed before adding the cheese. Scalloped potatoes are thinly sliced potatoes cooked in a creamy sauce. Typically speaking, potatoes cooked in a cheese sauce are referred to as "au gratin" potatoes, but many recipes for.