Scalloped potatoes with onions. This scalloped potatoes recipe is creamy, cheesy, and irresistibly delicious. Yukon gold potatoes: I prefer these to Russets because of their nice creamy texture and buttery flavor. I always cook the onion in the sauce, and then strain it out and add it to the middle layer.
Drain and pat dry before using. These scalloped potatoes were a hit on Easter Sunday with friends and family, so why not Thanksgiving? These are not your average scalloped potatoes as there are delicious caramelized onions layered in between the sliced potatoes and cheese. You can cook Scalloped potatoes with onions using 9 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Scalloped potatoes with onions
- It's 1 stick of salted butter.
- It's 3 of heaping spoonfuls of flour.
- Prepare of Milk.
- It's of Salt.
- You need of Pepper.
- You need of Cayenne pepper.
- Prepare 8 of red skin potatoes.
- You need Half of a large onion.
- You need of Shredded cheddar.
This classic recipe for scalloped potatoes showcases the flavors of potatoes and onion baked in a creamy sauce. This is the way my mother always made her scalloped potatoes. The measurements are taken from other recipes because she always just winged it, but the method is the same. Scalloped Potatoes are an easy classic recipe, perfect for your Easter dinner, Christmas, Thanksgiving or even just for Sunday dinner.
Scalloped potatoes with onions step by step
- Wash potatoes and slice thin.
- Slice onion thin.
- In sauce pan, melt butter and add flour. Stir until thick. Add milk little bits at a time to make a creamy sauce..
- Add salt, pepper and cayenne pepper and stir..
- Add about a cup or so of shredded cheese..
- Place half the potatoes in a casserole dish with onions on top..
- Pour half of the creamy mixture over top. Then top with the rest of the potatoes..
- Sprinkle the top with more cheese..
- Bake uncovered in a preheated 350 degree oven for 60 minutes..
In this side dish, thinly sliced potatoes and onions are layered in an easy homemade cream sauce and baked until tender, golden, and bubbly. Scalloped Potatoes with Ham & CheeseJulie's Eats and Treats. Scalloped Potatoes with Caramelized Onions and GruyereSimply Recipes. Scalloped potatoes are definitely a recipe worth keeping in your arsenal, especially for those for nights when you deserve an extra special treat. Using a slotted spoon, transfer half of the potatoes and onions to the baking dish. (Discard the milk or save for another culinary use.) Scalloped Potatoes and Onions.