Tex's Mam's Scalloped Potatoes 🐷🍲.
You can have Tex's Mam's Scalloped Potatoes 🐷🍲 using 8 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Tex's Mam's Scalloped Potatoes 🐷🍲
- You need 4 of large potatoes (Maris Piper or King Edwards), peeled.
- You need 1 1/2 of large onions.
- It's 6-9 rashers of smoked streaky bacon, or 3-6 of smoked back bacon.
- Prepare As needed of hot water to cover.
- Prepare 2 of beef OXO stock cubes.
- Prepare to taste of plenty of Worcestershire sauce.
- It's 3 tbsp of oil.
- You need to taste of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Tex's Mam's Scalloped Potatoes 🐷🍲 instructions
- Scallop the potatoes by slicing to about 9mm (⅜" on a mandolin) thick. Chop some of the smaller pieces so they'll beak down during cooking and thicken the gravy. Halve the onions, and slice to the same thickness..
- Take a stock pot and brown one side of the bacon in the oil. When you turn to brown the other side, add the onion and cook until softened.
- Tip the potatoes in to the pan and add enough hot water to not quite cover (about 6mm/¼ inch) below the surface of the potatoes.
- Crumble in the stock cubes, and add the Worcestershire sauce and salt. Stir well. Bring to a boil, then immediately turn down to a nice simmer.
- Simmer the potatoes, bacon and onions for about 25-30 minutes, uncovered.
- Check the taste and consistency of the potatoes and adjust if necessary, by cooking longer, or adding additional water. Stir well.
- Reduce down until there's as little gravy left as possible. Drain some away if necessary first, so that you end up with small amount of concentrated flavoursome juice after reduction.
- Remove from the heat and leave the pot to cool slowly, uncovered. This will allow the gravy time to slowly thicken as moisture evaporates leaving the starch behind..
- When ready to serve, season with salt and pepper. Reheat on the hob or in the microwave.
- Serve with pickled red cabbage, pickled beetroot, and crusty bread.