Carrot Greens Pesto.
You can cook Carrot Greens Pesto using 7 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Carrot Greens Pesto
- Prepare 1 Bunch of Carrot Tops (washed please).
- It's 3/4 Cup of Olive Oil (roughly).
- Prepare 3 Cloves of Garlic (smashed).
- You need 1/3 Cup of Assorted Nuts and Seeds (Flax, Peanuts. Hemp, Pine Nuts).
- Prepare 1/3 Cup of Hard Cheese (Pecorino Romano, Parmigianno Reggiano).
- You need 1 Tablespoon of Lemon Juice.
- Prepare of Salt and Pepper (to taste).
Carrot Greens Pesto step by step
- In a large pot, boil some water. Once boiling add the carrot tops using tongs to get everything immersed in the water. This process only takes 20 to 30 seconds and is referred to as 'blanching'. The color will turn a vibrant green. Immediately remove and place in ice water. This process is referred to as 'shocking' and effectively halts the cooking process, maintaining the vibrant green color. Once cool enough to handle, chop the greens to ensure they will blend without wrapping the blade..
- Combine all ingredients into a blender, and utilizing the plunger (if your blender didn't come with one, just stop periodically and scrape the sides down and stir the mixture a bit) blend to a fine paste. Store with plastic wrap pressed to the surface, or float olive oil on top to deter oxidation which will brown your spread..
- Store and enjoy in 3 weeks or freeze and keep it for up to 6 months. Great additions to this spread are curry and chili powders, cayenne and schwarma seasoning as well! // Use the tops of carrots in this pesto. Then grate the bottom orange portion and mix with miso paste, shoyu, and other various Asian ingredients to marinate chicken thighs. Grill and serve with the pesto, rice or quinoa pilaf and some steamed or grilled vegetables!.