Penne and Asparagus Pesto. A bright and lemony pesto sauce with penne and asparagus. A quick and easy spring meal. Toss pasta and asparagus with pesto and toasted pine nuts and serve.
I like mini penne with pesto because of the little lines or ridges in them, which is great for catching the sauce. Add the asparagus and season with salt and pepper. Any longer and it will lose its bright green color as it will continue to cook once removed from. You can cook Penne and Asparagus Pesto using 13 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Penne and Asparagus Pesto
- Prepare 1 packages of Penne pasta or spaghetti.
- Prepare 1 packages of Grape or cherry tomatoes.
- It's 1 of olive oil.
- It's of Pesto.
- It's 5 oz of cheese (queso fresco).
- You need 10 of garlic flavored cracker.
- You need 1 bunch of Asparagus.
- It's 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- You need 2 tbsp of cream cheese.
- You need 2 tsp of dried thyme.
- It's 2 tsp of rosemary.
- You need 1 of salt.
- Prepare 1 of pepper.
Pour the pasta into two serving bowls, add the potatoes evenly and cover evenly with asparagus pesto. Toss well and dust with a light grating of Parmesan before serving. The pistachio asparagus penne was a breeze to make and it tasted great! The pistachios worked really well in the asparagus pesto and I am looking forward to experimenting with using them in more pestos.
Penne and Asparagus Pesto step by step
- Bring pot of water to boil and add penne pasta. Cook to Al dente, drain and set aside..
- While noodles are cooking, set oven to bake at 425. Cut bottom ends off of asparagus. Put rinsed asparagus and tomatoes on baking sheet and drizzle olive oil all over to coat..
- Roast asparagus and tomatoes for 10 minutes depending on thickness of asparagus. As long as the tips are cooked...the rest of the stalk will be used in pesto. Remove from oven and set tomatoes aside..
- Chop top tips of asparagus about 1" and set aside..
- Crumble cheese and crackers into blender. Chop up remaining asparagus and drop into blender..
- Add olive oil, cream cheese, thyme, rosemary, salt & pepper. Mix till a thick paste. May need to stir and foil it in..
- In large bowl, add penne and half the pesto. Mix. Continue adding more pesto. I still had 1/4 cup left to use for another dish..
- Serve portion of pasta on plate. Garnish with asparagus tips and tomatoes..
- Substitute: I didn't have any pine nuts or sliced almonds. So I used crackers instead. It helps in making it a good thick paste..
I've made this recipe for hungry crowds ever since with amazing results. This 'sauce' can be used with any type of noodle, but I recommend penne, macaroni or rigatoni. Rinse asparagus spears and snap off and discard their tough ends. Add to the bowl with the pesto and stir to coat them well. Top with toasted walnuts and serve at once.