You can have Making Pesto using 6 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Making Pesto
- Prepare 2 1/2 cup of fresh basil leaves packed (50 grams).
- It's 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil.
- You need 1 cup of plus 1 Tbs shaved/grated parmigiano reggiano cheese/ pecorino cheese mix.
- It's 1 of to 2 cloves garlic (to taste).
- Prepare 2 tbsp of pine nuts.
- It's 1 tsp of salt.
Making Pesto step by step
- Pesto variation if no mortar and pestle: When using the blender, blend in steps for improved texture and to insure even blending. First basil, salt and garlic, and then nuts..
- Add cheese..
- Last step, slowly incorporating the oil into the mix until desired consistency. Prep on blender method is only minutes!.
- For the "vero" Genovese Pesto you will need a mortar and pestle made of wood, patience and diligence. The first written Pesto recipe dates back to the 800's, and has for the most part, remained unchanged. First you must wash basil leaves in cold water. Dry on a towel. Using the mortar and pestle crush a clove of garlic for every thirty basil leaves. The garlic fragrance should be soft, and not over power the basil scent. Toss in a couple of grains of coarse sea salt. With the pestle, in a circular motion, continue to crush the leaves. Slightly rotate the pestle so there is no shearing of the fragrant leaves. Doing in this way, the essential oil of the basil leaves (kept in the veins) will provide the best flavor. When there is a bright green liquid you are ready to add nuts. Add a handful of pine nuts. Add cheeses: parmigiano-reggiano and pecorino. And finally, the add extra virgin olive oil. The processing must be carried out at room temperature and must finish in the shortest possibl.