Tender Lentils and Rice.
You can have Tender Lentils and Rice using 6 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Tender Lentils and Rice
- Prepare 1 cup of Lentils.
- You need 1 cup of Rice.
- It's 3 of and 1/2 cups Water.
- You need 1 of Onion sliced.
- It's 1 of Zucchini cut in cubes (optional).
- You need 1 of Tomato cut in cubes (optional).
Tender Lentils and Rice instructions
- Boil water, add some salt and throw the lentils in there. Cover the pot and lower the fire to medium-low just to keep a simmer. Set timer for 15 minutes..
- In a separate frying pan, fry around the sliced onions until brown. Set aside half of it for later..
- (Optional step for additional sauteed veggies) Add the zucchini to the remaining onions in the pan then stir-fry the whole until zucchini is tender. Add tomatoes a bit before turning off the fire. Add salt and pepper to taste..
- Once 15 minutes have past for the lentils, pour in the rice and add the onions you set aside earlier. Mix a bit. Cover the pot again and let simmer for another 15 min..
- (If you didn't do the sauteed veggies) Continue to stir fry half of the onions until darker brown. Set aside..
- After 15 minutes, taste the lentils-rice. It should be tender and look humid (not dry). If it's crunchy, leave it a bit longer..
- To serve, add the darker brown onions or the sauteed veggies to the mix. And voilà!.