Braised Wilted Chard.
You can have Braised Wilted Chard using 7 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Braised Wilted Chard
- You need 3 slice of thick cut bacon, cut into smaller pieces.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of diced onion.
- You need 2 clove of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 1 bunch of swiss chard, cleaned.
- You need of salt & pepper.
- You need 1/8 tsp of ground nutmeg or to taste.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of sunflower seeds, shelled & roasted.
Braised Wilted Chard step by step
- Throughly clean chard. Remove any bruised areas. Cut the chard in half, separating the stem from the leaf part. Slice the stem & combine with the garlic & onion. Reserve the leaves..
- In a deep skillet or shallow wide pot, fry the bacon pieces until crispy. Remove the bacon & drain on a paper towel, keeping the bacon grease in the skillet..
- To the hot grease add the swiss chard stem, garlic, & onion mixture. Sauté until tender on medium heat. Add salt & pepper..
- While the mixture is cooking, tear the leaves into smaller pieces. Feel free to leave the ribs in the leaf mixture. They are quite nutritious & will get tender like the stems..
- Add the leaves to the top of the stem mixture. Sprinkle with nutmeg & more salt & pepper, if desired. Cover with a lid & cook on medium for 2-3 minutes..
- Remove lid. Using tongs mix all well. When leaves are wilted & harder ingredients are softened the dish is ready..
- Just before serving; mix in the bacon pieces & roasted sunflower seeds..
- Try different types of onions to give the dish some delicious variations!.