Chard & Potato Creamy Soup. Chard is a dark leafy green that can be used fresh or cooked, much like spinach. Discover how to prepare and enjoy this rainbow-stemmed vegetable. In the spectrum of greens, Swiss chard lies between spinach and kale—not as tender as spinach If you don't have coriander, you can skip it, but if you do have it it will make this simple swiss chard dish.
Swiss chard—or simply "chard"—is a member of the beet family that does well in both cool and Swiss chard is best known for its bright and colorful stems, which come in a rainbow of hues—pink. From French carde, from Latin carduus ("thistle"). (UK) IPA(key): /tʃɑːd/. (US) IPA(key): /tʃɑɹd/. Rhymes: -ɑː(ɹ)d. chard (countable and uncountable, plural chards). (uncountable, cooking) An edible leafy vegetable, Beta vulgaris subsp. cicla, with a slightly bitter taste. (cooking) Artichoke leaves and shoots. You can cook Chard & Potato Creamy Soup using 9 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Chard & Potato Creamy Soup
- You need 1 box of chicken broth.
- Prepare 4 cup of chard.
- It's 1 of potato, cubed.
- You need 1 of carrot, cubed.
- It's 1 of poblano chile pepper.
- It's 1 of green tomato.
- Prepare 1/2 of onion, chopped.
- You need 1 dollop of heavy cream (crema media).
- You need 2 tbsp of oil (vegetable, olive, soy, whatever).
Chard is also called Swiss chard. The leaves and stalks are a good source of vitamins A, B, and C. Chard is popular as a home-garden plant because it is easy to grow, productive. The chard in my garden inspires all kinds of recipes.
Chard & Potato Creamy Soup step by step
- In a soup pot, cook onion, potato, and carrot in oil on medium heat.
- In another pan, heat the poblano chile and green tomato on medium-high heat, flipping them every few minutes until their skins char and pucker. Peel them carefully (so as not to burn yourself) to an extent possible.
- In the meantime, once the onion, carrot, and potato have cooked, add chicken broth to the pot. Bring it to a boil..
- Add the peeled, seeded chile and the peeled green tomato to the pot. After 15 minutes or so, add the coarsely chopped chard to the pot..
- Once all has cooked thoroughly, blend the soup using a hand blender or with a normal blender..
- Add a dollop of cream to taste and for color (and garnish!).
- Provecho! Words of caution: I didn't find salt to be very necessary in this soup. It has so much flavor as it is, so season with caution. The green tomato adds a lot of acidity, so use good judgment in the size of your tomato. If it's too big, your resulting soup may be on the sour side. Make sure your soup is not boiling when you add the cream! Keep it heated on a low flame or else your cream won't become one with the soup, and it'll look like your soup has pond scum floating on top..
This one makes a great side dish, especially in spring and summer. This hearty soup combines nutritious Swiss chard with other garden favorites. Chard or Swiss chard is a leafy green vegetable with a slightly sweet taste. Cook this nutritious ingredient in baked gratins, pies, stews, and soups. Browse All Swiss chard Recipes. chard chard. spinach beet. leaf beet. seakale beet. silver beet. white beet.