Rustic Sausage, Lentil and Swiss Chard Sauce.
You can cook Rustic Sausage, Lentil and Swiss Chard Sauce using 14 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Rustic Sausage, Lentil and Swiss Chard Sauce
- Prepare 1 tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil.
- Prepare 1 lb of Italian sausage, removed from its casing.
- Prepare 2 of onions, minced.
- It's 2 of carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces.
- Prepare 1 of celery rib, minced.
- You need 6 of garlic cloves, minced.
- It's 1 tbsp of minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried.
- You need 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of dry white wine.
- It's 5 cup of low-sodium chicken broth.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of lentilles du Puy or brown lentils (51/4 ounces), picked over and rinsed.
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves.
- Prepare 1 lb of swis chard, stemmed and leaves sliced 1/2 inch thick.
- It's 1 of Salt and Pepper.
Rustic Sausage, Lentil and Swiss Chard Sauce instructions
- Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Brown sausage well, breaking up large pieces with wooden spoon, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat left in skillet..
- Add onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and oregano to fat in skillet and cook over medium-high heat until vegetables are softened and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in wine, scraping up any browned bits and smoothing out any lumps; transfer to slow cooker..
- Stir broth, lentils, and bay leaves into slow cooker. Cover and cook until lentils are tender, 9 to 11 hours on low or 5 to 7 hours on high..
- Gently stir in chard, cover and cook on high until tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Let sauce settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon. Discard bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper to taste..