You can cook Chickpea Soup using 9 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chickpea Soup
- Prepare 2 1/4 cups of dried chickpeas, soaked overnight (19 oz can).
- It's 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 of onion finely chopped.
- It's 2 of garlic cloves finely chopped.
- You need 1 lb of swiss chard trimmed and finely sliced.
- Prepare 2 of fresh rosemary sprigs.
- It's 14 oz of can chopped tomatoes.
- It's of Salt and pepper.
- It's Slices of toasted bread, to serve.
Chickpea Soup step by step
- Drain the chickpeas and put in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil, using a slotted spoon to skim off any foam. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1-1 1/4 hours, or until tender, adding water if necessary..
- Drain the chickpeas, reserving the cooking water. Season the chickpeas with salt and pepper. Put 2/3 in a food processor or blender with some of the cooking water and process until smooth, adding more cooking water as needed. Return to the saucepan..
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan, then add the onion and garlic and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion has softened. Add the chard and rosemary sprigs and cook, stirring frequently, for 3-4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and remaining chickpeas and cook for another 5 minutes, or until the tomatoes have broken down to an almost smooth sauce. Remove the rosemary sprigs..
- Add the chard and tomato mixture to the chickpea puree and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary..
- Serve in warmed soup bowls with warm slices of toasted bread on the side..