Wizard Pie adapted from The Great American Pie Book by Judith Choate.
You can cook Wizard Pie adapted from The Great American Pie Book by Judith Choate using 9 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Wizard Pie adapted from The Great American Pie Book by Judith Choate
- Prepare 1 of Pastry needed: Unbaked 9-inch double-crust pie..
- It's 1 of medium-sized Onion-chopped.
- It's 2 clove of garlic, crushed.
- It's 1/2 cup of unsweetened wheat germ.
- You need 1 cup of crushed tomatoes with juice.
- You need 1 tsp of dried basil or 1 Tbsp fresh.
- It's 1/8 tsp of hot pepper flakes.
- It's 1 of Tabasco sauce to taste.
- It's 4 cup of raw shredded vegetables which may include any mixture of the following: carrots, squash (winter or summer), sweet potato, celery, green and red peppers, spinach, kale, Swiss chard, turnips, parsnips, rutabaga, broccoli, eggplant, and cabbage..
Wizard Pie adapted from The Great American Pie Book by Judith Choate instructions
- Note by Judith Choate: "I use as many different vegetables as I can in this, but if you're limited to only two or three, make sure that you include eggplant and carrots, sweet potato or wintersquash. This will balance the texture moisture and taste if the pie, which is also a terrific dish for those on salt free diets. I like it lightly seasoned, but you can reduce the spiciness by eliminating the hot prettier flakes and adding just a drop of Tobasco sauce.".
- Pre-heat oven to 500° F.
- Lightly flour the rolling pin. Use short quick strikes to roll out the dough from center out in every direction..
- Lift the rolling pin gently as you near the edge of the pastry to prevent breakage...
- Continue rolling out until you have an even circle 1/8 inch thick and about 2 inches wider than your pie plate..
- Lift the pastry circle by gently folding in half over the rolling pin and slip it still folded into the pie plate and remove the rolling pin..
- Unfold to cover the bottom of the pie plate and remove the rolling pin..
- Do not stretch dough or it will shrink when baked..
- Smooth pastry into pie plate with quick pressing movements. Press dough firmly against edge of plate. Leave excess pastry hanging over edge of plate until top crust is in place.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and stir to blend. Taste for seasoning. Mound mixture in bottom pie shell..
- Roll out top pie crust. Before placing the top crust on the pie, cut a design out using cookie cutters. Fold over rolling pin and carefully position on top of filing and attach to bottom crust by pressing together excess dough from bottom and top crusts..
- Fold pressed dough edge up and inward, making a rim around edge of pie. Starting at edge opposite you, pinch dough between thumb and index finger around edge of pie at 1 inch intervals forming a fluted design around the entire pie..
- Bake at 500° for 15 minutes then at 350° for 35-45 minutes..