Lentil Soup with Sausage.
You can cook Lentil Soup with Sausage using 14 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Lentil Soup with Sausage
- You need 1/2 cup of Olive oil.
- Prepare 4 large of Links Sweet Italian Sausage.
- You need 2 medium of carrots sliced.
- You need 4 clove of garlic sliced.
- You need 1 cup of brown lentils rinsed.
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves.
- You need 28 oz of can crushed tomatoes.
- You need 6 cup of water.
- Prepare 4 cup of shredded swiss chard or kale.
- Prepare 1 of Grated pecorino ramano.
- It's 2 stick of celery sliced.
- You need 1 medium of onion diced.
- You need 1 of Salt & Pepper.
- Prepare 1 of Crushed red pepper.
Lentil Soup with Sausage step by step
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil (enough to coat bottom of pot) in a large pot on medium heat. When hot, add the sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon until it starts to brown, about five minutes. Add the onion, celery, carrots, first two garlic cloves, a pinch fo salt, and if you like your soup spicy, a pinch of red pepper flakes. Cook with the sausage until the vegetables soften a bit, another 5 minutes. Add the lentils, bay leaves, tomatoes, water (6 cups is, conveniently, 2 empty 28-ounce cans, so you can get any tomato pulp you missed), more salt and black pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook until the lentils are tender, about 40 minutes. (It might be necessary to add more water if the soup gets too thick, though we preferred ours on the thick side.).
- When the lentils are cooked, add the chard and cook until the leaves are tender, just a few minutes more. Discard the bay leaves..
- To finish, divide soup among bowls, then add the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil and 2 garlic cloves to a small skillet and heat over medium until the garlic softens and hisses. Drizzle this over soup bowls, and top with fresh Romano, passing more at the table. Leftovers will keep for several days in the fridge..