Vegetable Barley Soup.
You can cook Vegetable Barley Soup using 12 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Vegetable Barley Soup
- You need 8 of sprigs fresh thyme.
- It's 2 medium of parsnips, cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- It's 2 of turnips, cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- You need 1 small of rutabaga, cut into 1/2inch pieces.
- Prepare 2 of carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Prepare 2 of stalks celery, sliced.
- It's 2 clove of garlic, finely chopped.
- It's 1 large of onion, chopped.
- Prepare 1 cup of barley (not quick cooking).
- Prepare 1 small of bunch Swiss chard, stems discarded, leaves chopped.
- You need 1 of salt & pepper.
- It's 1 of Shaved Parmesan, for serving.
Vegetable Barley Soup step by step
- Tie the thyme together with a piece of thread or butcher's twine..
- In a 5-to-6qt slow cooker, combine the parsnips, turnips, carrots, rutabega, celery, garlic, onion, thyme, barley, 8cups of water, 1tsp salt and 1/4tsp pepper..
- Cook, covered, until the barley is cooked through and the veggies are tender. 6-7 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high (if cooking on high, use only 6cups of water).
- When the soup has 10mins left to cook, remove the thyme.
- Turn the slow cooker on high, add the chard and cook, covered until tender, 5-7 mins..
- Serve with Parmesan, if desired.