Swiss Chard with black eyed peas.
You can have Swiss Chard with black eyed peas using 9 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Swiss Chard with black eyed peas
- You need 3 of small bunches of swiss chard. ( almost 5 cups of minced swiss.
- Prepare 1 cup of black eyed peas.
- You need 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 8 of garlic gloves (minced).
- Prepare 2 of diced onions.
- You need to taste of Salt.
- It's 1 tsp of chilli powder (optional).
- It's 1 bunch of green fresh coriander.
- Prepare of juice of one lemon.
Swiss Chard with black eyed peas step by step
- Wash the swiss chard very well, and drain it..
- Chop the stalks and the leaves into thin slices..
- In a pot boil the swiss chard till it becomes tender..
- Remove it from the heat, and drain it..
- Boil the black eyed peas in water (soaked overnight)..
- In a large pot, heat the oil and fry the onion till it becomes translucent..
- Add the garlic, chilli powder (if used), and chopped green coriander..
- After it is well cooked, keep aside quarter of the quantity to add it later for garnishing..
- Add the chard and the beans to the pot and around one cup of water.
- Simmer gently until the chard has wilted and softened..
- Put the garnish on top of the plate and serve it with lemon and pita bread..
- Notes: usually we cook the white swiss chard * the traditional way is to separate stalks from the leaves and cut each separately then boil the stalks till tender and add back to the stew. * You may first boil the black eyed peas until it is half cooked, then add the chard and boil it all together in the same pot. * don't turn off the stove until the water is fully evaporated..
- Made by: Samah Baroudi.