My latest dhal recipe...this one uses whole spices & coconut milk.
You can have My latest dhal recipe...this one uses whole spices & coconut milk using 13 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of My latest dhal recipe...this one uses whole spices & coconut milk
- Prepare 150 gram of red lentils, rinsed.
- You need 1 box of or can chopped tomatoes.
- It's 1 of onion peeled and chopped.
- It's 3 cloves of garlic peeled & grated with a small piece root ginger.
- It's 1 of small red chilli.
- It's 1 of level tsp each ground turmeric & garam masala, whole coriander seeds, mustard seeds.
- You need of & cumin seeds.
- Prepare 1 can of coconut milk.
- Prepare of Seasoning.
- You need 1 of vegetable stock cube.
- Prepare of To serve.
- Prepare of Spinach or chard, washed & shredded.
- It's of Fresh mint or coriander.
My latest dhal recipe...this one uses whole spices & coconut milk instructions
- Toast the whole spices briefly in a dry non stick pan over a medium heat, shaking the pan occasionally.
- Cook the onion, garlic & peeled grated ginger gently in a deep pan with a tbs olive oil.
- When beginning to soften & colour, stir in the turmeric & garam masala, then grind the toasted spices using a pestle & mortar...add them to the pan, stirring gently.
- After a couple of minutes add the rinsed lentils to the spice mixture with the contents of a can or box of chopped tomatoes and the chilli, seeds mostly removed.. bring to a simmer, then add the coconut milk and a vegetable stock cube..
- Keep stirring the contents of the saucepan until the mixture is bubbling and cooking gently... lower the heat to a simmer, then cook for about 20 minutes on a low flame stirring occasionally..
- When the lentils are tender and cooked, taste for seasoning and add lemon juice to taste.
- When ready to serve, cook the spinach or chard briefly and drain thoroughly...scatter over the dhal, or put on the side, snip the herbs over the dish & serve with rice, naan & chutney.